What is STEAM Central?
- STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics. STEAM Central is a creative community workshop inside the Stephens Central Library in San Angelo, Texas.
How did you get all of this stuff?
- All of the equipment, supplies and kits available for public use in STEAM Central are made possible through a grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services and the Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
Where is STEAM Central?
- STEAM Central is located in the basement of the Stephens Central Library. The Library is located at 33 West Beauregard, San Angelo, Texas, 76903.
Who is STEAM Central for?
- STEAM Central is open to everyone with a Tom Green County Library Card (which is available for free!), but some guidelines apply to those 17 and under. Please read our Usage Policy for more information.
I don't have a Tom Green County Library Card...Can I still use STEAM Central?
- Absolutely! We are happy to issue a Tom Green County Library Card to anyone that is a Texas resident that can provide us with a valid photo ID and proof of address. As long as all of the information on your driver’s license is current, you will be able to get a card! If you are an out of state visitor, you will be welcome to take a tour of the space but unfortunately you won’t be able to use our equipment.
Why is STEAM Central inside of a library?
- Public libraries have always been about self-education and equal access. With new and exciting technology emerging every day, we decided that we wanted to provide a space where our community can gain hands-on experience with some of that technology. Some of the equipment available in STEAM Central may be cost prohibitive or have a high learning curve for everyday users or for small businesses. We hope that by providing free access to this technology we can help to close the gap between everyday users and the early adopters of advanced technology.
What's in STEAM Central?
- Lots of awesome stuff! See our Equipment page for a detailed list of equipment and software available in STEAM Central.
- How much does it cost to use STEAM Central?
- For all Tom Green County Library Card holders, usage of STEAM Central is free. Some equipment, though, may require you to provide your own consumables. For lists of allowable consumables you may need to provide, check the policy for the specific piece of equipment you would like to use.
How do I reserve equipment?
- To reserve equipment, you may need to certification class. Once you have met all requirements for the equipment, you can visit the Reservations tab on this webapge, or call STEAM Central at 325-655-7321. Reservations cannot be made more than 14 days in advance. Other restrictions may apply, so please make sure to read the entire Equipment Reservations Policy before reserving.
How do I register for a class?
- Registering for classes is easy. Simply visit our Events Calendar and find a class date/time that works for you. We will offer training classes for all of our equipment each month in addition to specialty classes. Each month’s classes will be posted during the last week of the previous month and registration will open up at 9:00 a.m. on the first business day of the new month. All of our classes have a limited number of attendees; we do not take names for a wait list and walk-ins are prohibited. Unfortunately we do not schedule overflow classes, make up classes or classes for individuals due to current staffing levels.
Have another question that we haven’t answered?
- Contact us
Casey Dees - firstname.lastname@example.org
Wanda Green- email@example.com